Friends with kids at home, I thought I’d share our latest creative learning project.
It’s a Found Story Journal for the whole family.
- The journal gets left on the table along with pens and story aids. (More on those in a minute.)
- The writing has to be done in secret.
- We have to be sneaky! We can only write in it when no one else is watching.
- Only 1 celebrity /pop star cameo per story.
- Each entry continues from the previous one.
- Each entry keeps to one page or less.
Our story aids:
These help if anyone gets stuck and needs an idea boost.
*STORY CARDS: They’re made by Eeboo, & illustrated by Stephanie Graegin, (author-illustrator of LITTLE FOX IN THE FOREST and FERN AND OTTO (publishing later this year).
*STORY CUBES are a fun and tactile way to provoke ideas. They're called Rory's Story Cubes.
If you don’t have something like the cards or the dice, not to worry!
*STORY IDEA JARS are a longtime favorite.
The WORD JAR keeps scraps of paper with random words on them.
The STORY SPARKS JAR holds phrases like “locked in a cage,” “a door to nowhere,” “the boat with a hole in the bottom,” “a mermaid with wings.”
It took like five minutes to write a list, cut it up and stick in jars.
Times are rough, kids have homework, but creativity and writing can always bring some joy.
Wish us luck!
My entire life is about sneaking in art and stories into all the rest of life.
If I could illustrate my taxes, I SO would.
Anyway, I hope this idea will be a fun one for my family - and for yours!
If you try it, will you share how it went with me?
Tag me in your photos so I can share, too.
Here’s to all the good stories that await!