I get to talk with 4th graders this week about writing.
As they especially want to know where writers get their ideas,
I thought I should make a list.
I decided to share it with you, too.
This isn't the quantitative, end-all list of idea-catchers, mind you
because, as all writers know, ideas can be found....
- 1. At the bottom of the dryer
- 2. In snatches of conversation
- 3. In the waiting room at the doctor's office
- 4. Under the couch, next to the monster's eyeball
- 5. Inside a pair of Seven League Boots
- 6. Buried under the witch's bones in the graveyard
- 7. In a fistful of stolen pirate gold
- 8. In the pocket of the Wrong Coat at the Lost & Found
- 9. Behind a secret staircase in the old castle
- 10. In the next chapter after the final chapter of the last book you read
Of course, this list goes on
Writer friends, where do you find your ideas?
Any special plants or potions or special tricks
that keep your ears and eyes
ready for your next idea?
Teachers, you are welcome to use this freebie printable as a teaching resource. Feel free to share links to this page.
To use this resource, just drag the image to your desktop and print.