Thursday, April 29, 2010

Throwing Stones


When the inner critic throws you into seas of doubt
find rock to stand on.


Ask yourself questions that give you roots.
Find good reason to get up every day and keep at it.

Why do I write?


because
words are music
music becomes word
and rhythm
word becomes story
worlds bright and painted

dream lands I can't quite reach
become firm apples to hurl,
glinting sword, highest tower
and gipsy lullaby
swirling dances before the fire

and I write because
I need no audience
only fresh paper
new pens
and time

word
my small
stone thrown back
to the sea





WHY leads to WHEN and HOW, and for that I give you Anne Lamott:
"creative expression, whether that means writing, dancing, bird-watching, or cooking, can give a person almost everything that he or she has been searching for: enlivenment, peace, meaning, and the incalculable wealth of time spent quietly in beauty...
...The bad news: You have to make time to do this.

This means you have to grasp that your manic forms of connectivity—cell phone, email, text, Twitter—steal most chances of lasting connection or amazement...

what manic or compulsive hours will [you] give up in trade for the equivalent time to write, or meander?
Time is not free—that’s why it’s so precious and worth fighting for."
(Read more here.)





Why do you write (if you're an artist, a musician, etc. - why do you create)?

What are your time-stealers?

What will you give up for extra time to create ?

And how do I keep two four year-olds quiet during nap time so I can write?


Now gather your answers, your bold rocks
and show that inner critic who the boss is around here.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful words on why you write! Creating is beauty, yes?

I have a friend who paints, and I asked, "Why do you paint?" And she responded, "Because I just HAVE to." Writing for me, is like water is to a flower. It is what feeds me, what helps me grow. And like a flower, I wilt if I don't spend time nourishing my writing. Lots of 'stuff' gets in the way, but eventually I'll remember to 'drink' again.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

"worth fighting for" Now, that's something to chew on. Perhaps we need to remember our creativity deserves that passion and respect when other things say they're more important.

Martha Brockenbrough said...

Thanks for these lovely thoughts, Faith!

Natasha said...

Beautiful post.

Why do I write? Because I can't think of not writing. Life would be incomplete without it.

How do I make time for it? I write in my mind, so need only to make time to transcribe it on paper (or the screen)- difficult, but not impossible.

What would I give up so I can get more time to write? Except dusting and ironing, practically everything in my life is there because I cannot do without. Wouldn't want to give any of it up.

No your question but still-
Would I stop writing if nobody ever reads anything I write? No way. I need to write for myself.

Natasha said...

Just stopped by to say there is an award for you on my site.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem.. may your beautiful rocks always rule the waves.

Faith Pray said...

Lynn, you're right! We must soak up water so we don't wilt!

Martha, thank you! Praise from you is praise indeed.

Tricia, I like the idea that we must respect our creative needs.

Rayna, thank you for the award! I love reading about your passion to write.

Thank you Ladyfi. I haunted your blog today and love the festival pics!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...