Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Dragons and Kindling


 
How do you fuel your creative kindling?
With dragons, of course!
Janet Lee Carey, author of Dragonswood
is working shop with thirsty writers this Sunday, September 15
at the Bainbridge Island library.
I'm going!
How's that to fuel my story sparks?

I've gushed over Dragonswood and Dragon's Keep before.
They are among my top fantasy novels.
Janet writes compelling, wholly satisfying tales
so skillfully woven that I want to re-read them
as soon as I finish. 
Northwest writers: if you're in the area, come join me
at this Field's End event!


 

Who doesn't need such a creative boost?
After a whirlwind of crazed schoolishness,
I know I do!

Last night was writing night.
I finally sat alone with my manuscript, pen in hand,
distractions tucked away,
ready to blow through with a masterful fury.

But instead of mastery,
I just sat staring into the trees,
letting the wind rush past me
and all my pieces.
No story mastery.

But the space, the air!
The silence!
It was exactly what I needed.
To get me right first.


Do you ever de-fuzz?

It's the kind of work that doesn't count on your timecard,
but still matters!

Apart from our writing, our desires,
our hankerings to be published, 
our accomplishments, our parenting,
our quirks and our failings,
we are all the same.


We are all people who need Love and Shelter
and Bread and Breath.

If you are ever busy, frantic, worried, overloaded,
or just stuck in your story,
try taking it down a notch.

Find a quiet place and de-fuzz.


Do something that doesn't "count" on your timecard.

Twirl. Stomp. Laugh.

Take off your socks and shoes. Wiggle your toes.
Paint with water.


Stretch out on the grass.
Watch clouds. Watch stars. Watch people.
 
Start a sketch notebook, a Favorite Words List, a Myths List,
a Sayings List, a Thankfulness List.

Breathe.

Play with dragons!

Treasure awaits.


A few fiery tales:
 
 
The Deliverers of Their Country - E. Nesbit, Lisbeth Zwerger
The Knight and the Dragon - Tomie dePaola
The Reluctant Dragon - Kenneth Grahame, Inga Moore
Saint George and the Dragon - Margaret Hodges, Trina Schart Hyman
My Father's Dragon - Ruth Stiles Gannet
Talking To Dragons - Patricia Wrede (ill. Trina Schart Hyman)
Dealing With Dragons - Patricia Wrede (ill. Trina Schart Hyman)


6 comments:

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

How I wish I were in your neighborhood. I'd be there with you and Janet Carey to soak up her take on magic and writing. What is a dragon but pure magic? I found a drawing of a dragon skeleton online. Made my day.

Faith Pray said...

Aw, Tricia, I wish you were coming with me, too! What fun we'd have plunging our fairy tale roots into good working dirt! Happy dragon skeletons to you...

Dawn Simon said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the workshop! It sounds like it was wonderful! Isn't Field's End a great organization? And ooh, de-fuzzing! Great way to say it!

I hope you're having a great week, Faith!

Dawn Simon said...

PS - I just noticed I wrote "great" three times. My tired brain needs more than de-fuzzing...off to bed!

Kjersten said...

My goodness does this post make me smile. So much truth here! And reminders to twirl and stomp are some of the best kinds of reminders... Thank you!

Zane Wooder said...

My dog does exactly what the little ones with the fan. She puts her face right into it. Does she every look exhausted though from all the heat.

-Zane of ontario honey

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...