Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Mermaid sightings

The twins are fast approaching ten!
"Tween twins!" Winnie reminds me.
"Double digits, doubled!"

And just like that, a decade ebbs. 
 
Having soaked up the Emily Windsnap books lately, 
they want to be mermaids. 
So, I've been making art.
Mermaidy tattoos!
 
Painted shells. 
Waves of seaweed.
Glowy lights.  
Cupcakes + art = yummy.   
 


Mermaids, this way. Your party awaits.

 Books!

18153928
The Tail of Emily Windsnap (Emily Windsnap, #1)

132391 18048914
The Mermaid and the Shoe by K. G. Campbell
The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler
The Little Mermaid - Hans Christian Anderson, ill. by Lisbeth Zwerger 
Breathe - Scott Magoon
1798374011737313
1104203622477286 
The Forgotten Sisters - Shannon Hale
Three Times Lucky - Sheila Turnage
Secrets at Sea - Richard Peck 
Listen, Slowly - Thanhha Lai
17164725
18353968631565717675379

Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea - Steve Jenkins
The Storm Whale - Benji Davies
Plastic Ahoy! Investigating the great Pacific Garbage Patch - Patricia Newman
Shackleton's Journey - William Grill






8 comments:

grammarducky said...

Dear Faith,
Your delightful creation sparks fun memories, among which are working at Disneyland (& watching the mermaids "slip" into costume); my darling daughter dragging her Little Mermaid by the hair, as we schlepped through the grocery market aisles. Thank you for the flashback journey. Love to you all, and many happy returns of the day to your lovely mermaids!

Faith Pray said...

Grammarducky, I love the memories. Thank you for sharing them, and for the happy wishes!

m. bloom said...

Oh, Faith -- How I love, love, love your blog posts. Every one of them is worth the wait (and no pressure to post more frequently... just saying, quite simply, that I am happy to see them whenever you happen to post them).

But I am scratching my head at the inclusion of "Shhh! We have a Plan" to your list of mermaid and ocean related books. "Shhh! We have a Plan" has been one of our fav books this year, however, there is nary a fish nor ocean in sight (though a boat does make an appearance!)

Sending you an abundance of hugs --
mb

m. bloom said...

P.S. Must tell you about some of our other fav picture books recently, in case you have not yet discovered them: The Monsters' Monster by Patrick McDonnell and Home by Carson Ellis.
xo

Faith Pray said...

Margaret, I love Carson Ellis' Home - such a delight!
As for Shh We Have a Plan! - I totally agree. I'm caught! Netted! Nary a fish, a fin, or seaweed in sight. It's like the Sesame Street song - "one of these kids is not like the others" I remember from childhood. I'm not sure why I wanted it in there except for the fact that it has been one of our happy new summer finds. Maybe because of the saturated palette - all the deep blues and purples feel like something under the sea. Or maybe I threw it in to keep company with the other oddball, Shackleton's Journey. Will be on the lookout for Monster's Monster!
Hugs back!

Faith Pray said...

Margaret, I've been thinking about your comment, and then remembered so many other delightful, breezy reads to add to the list. So I amended it. "Shh!" will just wait for another debut. Cheers!

Dawn Simon said...

Oh, Faith, so much heart in every post and in every piece of art! Beautiful! I love your blog! Happy birthday to your darling girls. Wow, what a party! Lucky twins, lucky guests! xo

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

Your girls are so lucky to have their lovely Mum. you make everything SO magical!! Yes...I'm with Dawn Lucky luck twins, I'm sure they'll remember their birthdays forever.

Jane

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...