Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Bottled Courage



This girl.
this one.


Winnie
(a.k.a. Kaylen)
has a bone scan and CT tomorrow.

out of sunny skies, we are all stormed over.

They've seen a spot around her femur that is "worrisome."
Worrisome.

That's a gentle way of describing what this mama feels.
All my courageous muster has flown out the window.

And Winnie is my most heart-filled wildebeest.
Dreamer, writer, artist, she feels
every nuance in the room.
Like rough swallows
and puffy eyes.

We have no certain news yet, but
some of you have asked how you can help us as we wait
and I have been thinking...

Definitely prayers
and best thoughts
and any bottled courage
you can send our way.

Do they make that?
Bottled courage?

So here's what I'm thinking -  what about sharing your
words?
verses?
poems?
quotes?
book recommendations - for an eight year-old adventurer and for me.

words to help us remember 
that there is courage
in love,
in faith,
in hope.


















I will post news when we know what there is to know.
Thank you, friends.

UPDATE!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Good, good news from the docs.
It's not cancerous.
She's still in for some fun ahead with some sort of procedure,
but we'll take that any day over the big one.
Thank you, thank you all for the love and thoughts
and prayers poured our way this week.
Thank you. 


8 comments:

Amy-Baskin.blogspot.com said...

The bottled courage I send you and Winnie actually comes with pages and a binding. When I get scared of the path in front of me, I channel 'We're Going On A Bear Hunt' by Helen Oxenbury. 'We can't go over it, we can't go around it, we can't go under it; we must go through it.' That's a rough and inaccurate paraphrase of the mantra which that book has given me.

Barbara Davis-Pyles said...

Oh, sweet Faith, in times like these I can only channel my inner Cowardly Lion -- but sometimes he says the right thing and even offers a giggle or two..."Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?!" Sending love, prayers, and courage, of course, to you and all of your dear ones.

Vijaya said...

Oh, Faith. Prayers definitely. Courage comes in many packages ... Kitten's First Full Moon; Fire, Bed and Bone; Savvy ... and definitely Acts of the Apostles. They were so bold. So courageous.

Unknown said...

She's just about the right age for Madeleine L'Engle's, A Wrinkle in Time where scared, flawed, half-formed Meg battles through darkness and pain to light and wholeness.

Unknown said...

He defied the odds when He "put on flesh and moved into the neighborhood." He defied the odds when He healed the lame and touched the leper. He defied the odds when He loved the unlovable and invited children into a God sized conversation. Confidently praying for God sized answers wrapped in the words of doctors, nurses, technicians and friends!

Dawn Simon said...

Oh, Faith. I will say prayers and think positive, positive thoughts. As for book recommendations, Suzanne Selfors writes some seriously fun and funny stuff! Her Imaginary Veterinary series is wonderful.

I'm sending prayers, love, virtual hugs, and courage to you and sweet Kaylen! xxxooo

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Many, many hugs and healing thoughts for you and Kaylen. What a frightening thing.
When you asked for books about courage I thought of Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins. Gregor's bravery comes from his love for his baby sister and his father, his need to save them. That kind of courage is born of love.
There is a quote by Lao Tzu that says just that: “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.”
I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and wishing clear skies and sunshine ahead!

Jan Morrison said...

Oh how did I miss this? I love everything everyone said. A constant application of saying "I love you" out loud is always my medicine of choice but I know you do that already. Books on courage - A Wrinkle in Time is full of courage and real hearts.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...