Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Big Week

Words are few.
Heart surgery on Friday.
Summer is fleeting
and I survey my world,

reaching out to touch,
to linger,
to bless
like worn prayer beads,
all these things for which I am thankful.

I find myself brushing fingertips along our bumpy, imperfect walls,
savoring the unfinished-ness of them,

remembering that we are all unfinished stories,
sacred in our imperfections.


To feel the stained rim of a teacup,
a grooved picnic bench,
lichen on a tree

To soak up with my eyes
tissue-thin curlings of bark,
windowsill traffic,

popsicle drips,
  
chalk.
It's a liturgy of thankfulness
in today.
in the dirt.
in the dark. 


Last week, we stayed up late in a lightning storm.


Such power! Such beauty! 
And yet they shivered under quilts.

It's hard to be small in the dark
while thunder shakes the house with monster growls.

Being brave is having faith, isn't it?
Faith that tomorrow will dawn
calm and bright.
Faith that Light will come out of the dark.


As it turns out, some hearts
have holes that need patching.
Some hole-y hearts cause strokes.
The patch surgery may help.
We can hope!

Friday morning is my thunderstorm.
Be brave. Be brave. Be brave. Be brave.



Thankful for heart patches.
for imperfections. for thunderstorms. for light. and hope.

A brave book I hope you love as much as I do:

 
"The Girl With A Brave Heart" by Rita Jahanforuz, illustrated by Vali Mintzi.









13 comments:

Amy-Baskin.blogspot.com said...

You are a woman with a brave, beautiful heart. Grateful for heart patches and for a woman who is living Faith. Keeping you in my wholly imperfect heart and mind.

Nancy A said...

Your name, Faith is your touchstone. You are a guiding light for us all to see the beauty you see.

Barbara Davis-Pyles said...

Praying for you and your big, beautiful, brave, and holy (yes, without the "e" thanks to that wonderful patch!) heart ~~~ <3

Dawn Simon said...

You have a beautiful heart, and I'm sending prayers and love your way! xxxooo

Betty Morse said...


Faith my precious beautiful firstborn granddaughter!! How I wish I could hold you as I did when you were just a wee little one,sing you a song and tell you how everything is going to be OK!! My thoughts, prayers and unending love for a super wonderful outcome for the medical procedure that will repair your beautiful heart!!
I love you so much Faith.

Faith E. Hough said...

Many prayers going out for you!

Faith E. Hough said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jan Morrison said...

Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā

I will chant this Buddhist chant to ask the Green Tara to come swiftly to your aid. She is a Bodhisattva of compassion and mirrors the qualities I find in you, dear Faith - awareness, love, and a deep connection to nature (she is a forest deity). All love to you and those who care for you, including your surgeon and staff at the hospital.

Molly/Cece said...

Hi, Faith, I am hoping and praying for the best possible outcome for your surgery. I am praying that grace and and mercy surround you. I send you hugs, dear friend. I wish I could come over, hold your hand and tell you a story to make you laugh.

This is from my journal. I wrote this before a big surgery I had a decade ago.

In the Darkness

Even
when the shadows
choke me,
Even when they press in.
And I cannot breathe.
And I know fear.
It wants me.
I turn my face into
the hidden heartfelt
light of faith.
Angels cover me.
My heart cries.
Save me.
Help me.
I wish for mercy.
I pray for mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Richard Jesse Watson said...

Precious Daughter ~ When we used to rock you in Great Aunt Dorothy's rocking chair, it seemed so simple to show you our love. Snuggled up close, your raggedy blanket wrapped around you as you fingered the satin edges.

Rocking, singing, rocking, humming, rocking, loving you with hearts naturally in sync with the perfectness of the moment.

Life has many branches now and busy days. But I know you know. I will rock you in my prayers and meditations, in my hopes. God gives us gifts of sublime beauty, but some of them seem a little weird.

And yet faith, hope, and love will give us the where-with-all to recognize His brilliance in this one. I love you.

Stasia said...

Sending strength and prayers to you and your wonderful family. Will be thinking of you on Friday.

Words A Day said...

thinking of you Faith :)

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Faith, you are in my thoughts and heart. Peace and love being sent your way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...