Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Incorrigible Creatives

 
Some children are raised by wolves.
Others, by creatives. 

And really, is there a difference?


 
Sometimes, the lines between "creative" and "fur-brained" blur.
And that's the beauty of it.

To be a creative,
you get to strap on your courage boots every day
and write,
paint,
parent,
sew, stitch, cook - whatever your bent - 
and be prepared
for surprises.

Surprises like tears and paper wadding.
Snapping pencils.
Earnest screwdrivering until the cabinet doors fall off.

(Thank you for that, my wildebeests.)
Havoc. 
Howling at the moon.
Eating paint.

raised-by-wolves days,
and sometimes, gleams of brilliance.

Have I mentioned this book?

the Incorrigible children of ashton place
"The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, the Mysterious Howling" by Maryrose Wood and illustrated by Jon Klassen
(the Caldecott 2013 doublescoop!)
I love this book! I am in a happy swoon.
Jane Austen meets Agatha Christie meets Alexander McCall Smith, only with heaps of originality and humor. Well done, Maryrose Wood. Wow. wow. wow.

More wolf-ishness we love:

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
[For the record, and in case any great-grandmothers are concerned:
dry ice is considered dangerous in some contexts.
As such, it should probably not be given to toddlers...however, the children in these pictures were skillfully trained stunt-models, posing as children, and obediently avoided actually touching the ice.]

6 comments:

Faith E. Hough said...

Love it. :)
Thanks for the book recommendation!

The Knitty Gritty Homestead said...

If you like Alexander MS as I do, you'll LOVE Alan Bradley...the author of "The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie" and sequels. Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous. We just had a library book by Jon Klassen...I Want My Hat, I think it was. Again, fabulous!

m. bloom said...

ooh -- photos of paint-covered babies! love it!!
xo

Faith Pray said...

Faith, Bloom, thank you. I love having such dear blog buddies.

Faith Pray said...

Knitty, happy baby to you! And I can't wait to try the book recommendations. Thank you!

Kjersten said...

I love the the Incorrigibles! I've read them all so far. Funny to read your post today. I just read The true story of The Three Little Pigs to my son; we're going to see the play tomorrow. Time to get into our Wolf point of view.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...