Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Sleep Well



Maurice Sendak,
thank you 
for your gifts to us -
for outstanding books and art;
and for your honesty, your passion and your naughtiness. 

As writers, as artists, and as people, 
may we be so honest -
to find that unique voice and be true to it; 
so passionate - 
to live and work with unashamed abandon;
so naughty - 
to remember that we were all children once, and hopefully some of us still are.

In The Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak

Good night, Maurice Sendak. 
Sleep well.

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Some of our favorites:
Written and illustrated by Maurice Sendak - 
Where the Wild Things Are
In the Night Kitchen
Chicken Soup with Rice
One Was Johnny
Little Bear books - by Else Homelund Minarik, ill. by Maurice Sendak
Nutcracker - E.T.A. Hoffmann, ill. by Maurice Sendak
Let's Be Enemies - Janice May Udry, ill. by Maurice Sendak
Bears! - Ruth Krauss, ill. by Maurice Sendak






8 comments:

MollyMom103 said...

For me the Seattle Nutcracker, picture-book-come-to-life, tops my inspriational Maurice Sendak memory list.

Candylynn Fite said...

Faith, lovely tribute to such a legendary artist. Have you seen his new picture book, the one release last year? I posted a quick note this morning as well in his memory. I enjoyed reading your post. :))

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Beautifully said, Faith. I've been sad today but joyful, too, when I think of all the wonder and delight he brought us all.

Faith Pray said...

Molly, so right! My dad and mom took me to see Mozart's Idomeneo when was a little younger than I am now...(17..cough, cough). Awesome! But I have to agree with you about Nutcracker. I have never seen such beautiful, vivid sets. Sigh.

Faith Pray said...

Candylynn, thanks for saying hi! I will hunt down the new book, for sure! Thanks for the recommendation!

Faith Pray said...

Tricia, you are so right. Where would we be without these masters going before us - throughout history, in art, in word, in humanity - breaking convention with artful sweeps?

Jan Morrison said...

arggh! I posted a comment yesterday - what happened to it? Oh well - here goes.
Thank you for your tribute. When I even saw the tiniest glimpse of the Night Kitchen I got all fluttery in my heart and remembering the children at the daycare (including my two, so this was about 37 years ago) where I worked. We would read them about Mickey in the night kitchen and they would love it love it love it. And I thought of making big bowls of granola for first I was a mother there and then the cook and then the director - big bowls of granola and we lived - me and my boys and my sister Jude and other people who worked at the daycare - right across the street and we would see all the littles lying on their cots, dreaming about the night kitchen while we talked about where we might go dancing on Friday. Thank you.
And thank you for the wonderful painting that arrived yesterday too - so lovely...it is smiling at me while I write this.

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

I just read Little Bear this afternoon to my daughter. He left quite a legacy of literature!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...